Sunday, March 2, 2008

Survey Result

I think my group topic is really heavy to American. But I want to know about American's thinking about teenage suicide. Actually I was surprised. American teenage suicide is also really high. So, I was wondering about the main reason teenagers commit suicide. I went to Student center, Faner hall and Neely hall for our survey. I met many people in there places. Some of them refused to survey. But most of them were participated in this survey. The total people were 30 which are 14 of male and 16 of female. The age of "19-22" was the biggest group of the entire age groups.

I had two hypotheses. One was many Americans feel stress in relationships. Another was American never heard of teenage suicide happening to someone they knew. But I was wrong. Of course relationships make them stressful. 1/3 of them feel stress in relationships. But over 42% of them feel stress in academic pressure. Interest thing is they feel stress in academic pressure, but they don't think academic pressure is not the main reason teenage suicide. And less than 50% are heard of teenage suicide around them. Other interest things are two. One is many American choose mid-number of teenage suicide happen in U.S. I asked one of them why choose that number of multiply choice. She told me she didn't want to choose big number. That was really impression. Another is American think the best way for decreasing suicide, as parent is counseling and as school is education. During survey, they were always serious, and careful. Even I was a Asian stranger to them they were willing to accept survey. So, I noticed Americans don't hesitate to accept a request. I think this is really nice. In Korea, many people don't like take in survey or they doubt of that. It was a hard experience to me ask people to survey. But It was really fun.

No comments: